Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Importance of Social Supports: Family, Friends, Neighbors and Communities







"When I get older losing my hair,
Many years from now,
Will you still be sending me a valentine
Birthday greetings bottle of wine?

If I'd been out till quarter to three
Would you lock the door,
Will you still need me, will you still feed me,

When I'm sixty-four?"
-The Beatles
 
     For CHAPTER 9, I chose to focus on intimate relationships with elders that are typically known as life-partners (husbands and wives). I found that females typically divorce at an older age for money. It makes a person feel more needed and not so alone if they have a romantic partner in the elderly years. I also found that it is unlikely that elderly people will remarry after divorce.
 
     The image I chose illustrates elderly couples who are in love, and I found that most couples who have been married for most of their lives suggest that they are more in love now than they were when they were young. These articles and the video clip support my findings.
 
 
Scholarly Journal: This article has a study that shows that there is a link between marital satisfaction and overall health. Those with marital distress are more likely to have higher risk factors for health problems such as Cardiovascular Disease.

Video Clip: Longest Married Couple! This couple from Britain have been married for 77 years now, and say they are just as much in love today as the day they met. =)

Internet Sites: Divorce among the elderly is becoming more common. This article states that elderly people are more likely to cope with divorce well because of their maturity.
 
In this next article, people claim that they have more romance when they are elderly than they did when they were young. Apparently there is a huge difference between "old love" and "new love."  
 
Crossword Puzzle:



No comments:

Post a Comment